Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Packing and a new challenge

Packing up for the move. 
The pastels that have been beside my easel have been in two large Dakota pastel boxes. They are mostly Schmincke, Unison and Sennelier.  Also, a half dozen boxes of Terry Ludwig and two chests full of NuPastels (a generous gift years ago from Cathy Woo). For the move I'm using the little foam cradles that came with my boxes. If you click on the photo above, you'll see them at the far end.

When I married Jay 27 years ago he built a detached garage so I could have the attached garage for my Studio. Jay and my father made a wonderful studio for me including a ton of under-counter storage. I have been packing up art supplies and my storage areas are full again.

My new project
My studio has been rearranged (again) in a way that gives me a wall to hang the larger work that won't fit in the storage area under my counter. The large painting on the left in the photo above is still pleasing to me overall and in fact, has some very nice areas but some not so nice too. As I became more skillful in working with pastel, my strokes matured and I am imagining this scene as I would paint it today. In preparation for doing that, I'm going to start with a small color study of the painting. Then, from the small study, I'll paint the scene again in large format. Actually, I can think of  quite a few old paintings I'd like to try this with. I'll let you know how it works!



No comments:

Post a Comment