Thursday, June 7, 2012

oil study for Wanderlust

As a pastel artist, I'm not used to mixing color so this summer's exploration into oil paint has been fun and challenging. I made these oil color charts 6 years ago and recently rediscovered them during my studio cleanup.  I am using them for many color decisions - mixing colors I wouldn't ordinarily use to create subtly varied hues.

After lots of green in Oil Study #4, I was ready to try a different color palette. Once again, the scene is the off-leash dog park but this time in late summer. Love those grasses! This is the 10 x 8 inch oil color study for a larger painting tentatively titled "Wanderlust."

I painted the same scene in pastel, much larger, 25 x 25 inches, earlier this year. See "Heartbreak Morning" below.
 Oil Study # 5 is sold

No comments:

Post a Comment