Sunday, June 10, 2012

a laugh for oil painters

I was so excited to receive my new little Open Box M panel holder last week! But I was traumatized at the thought of actually putting oil paint on the clean palette. I emailed my oil painter friend, Marilyn Webberley and asked her..."REALLY? Am I really supposed to put the paint RIGHT ON THERE?"

While waiting for her reply, I began to paint using a disposable palette sheet - another item that I found in my recent studio cleanup. I also mounted my panel inside a foam core holder before attaching it to the panel holder so excess paint would end up there instead of on the wood.
Marilyn replied, yes, put the paint right on there and actually USE the Open Box M! After many beautiful paintings, Marilyn's Open Box M looks like this. I am excited to have mine look like Marilyn's but for now you can join me in laughing at myself. You can see Marilyn's work on her website and blog.

7 comments:

  1. I did and felt the same several years ago when I got my Open BoxM!! You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny!! Enjoy breaking in your new toy!
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did it! I put oil paint directly on the wood and it was fun and the way the wood accepted the color is actually beautiful. Thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara, I purchased my Open Box M a few months ago and I really love it! I coated mine with linseed oil before I used it the first time. The more I use it the smoother the palette surface gets. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, I'm glad to hear it gets smoother because I'm used to a glass palette. Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your work. It speaks to me, and it has inspired me to root out my pastels again. Much like the work of McKinley, but in my eyes a little more representational; which is good. I see influences of Albert Handell too, but maybe I am wrong. Thank you for showing your work.
    John W (England)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you John for your comment and for the compliment that my work reminds you of Richard McKinley or Albert Handell. Have fun with those pastels!

    ReplyDelete