Monday, October 25, 2010

acrylic to pastel

You may have read my October 2010 article in The Pastel Journal magazine about reworking pastel paintings. Or, if you've been following this blog (thank you!) you have seen revisions of pastel paintings. I ran out of pastel paintings to rework so I'm going to try to turn old (and very bad) acrylic paintings into pastel paintings.  Today I used a palette knife to spread Acrylic Ground for Pastels over two lumpy, bumpy old acrylic paintings. I'm not concerned with getting a smooth surface, I like a lot of texture and I can see the ghost of the old painting through the gritty new surface - that's exciting.

2 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see the result of this. its great to experiment and find new ways to do things. Good luck with your revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbara - I'm really looking forward to this. A new, irregular surface sounds like a great start to the creative process.

    Thanks also for explaining how you do your oil wash underpaintings.

    ReplyDelete